2022 MG HS Essence: owner review

I had a 2018 Jaguar EPACE S P250 SUV coming up to 4 years owned, and I endeavour to change cars over every 3.5 to 4 years.

Owner: Will Mackay

I had a 2018 Jaguar EPACE S P250 SUV coming up to 4 years owned, and I endeavour to change cars over every 3.5 to 4 years. I had considered just getting another EPACE but was informed by the Jaguar dealer in Newcastle, Hunter Jaguar, where I had purchased the EPACE that there was a 10 to 12 month wait time and the price for the equivalent of what I was driving was around $95K. I then thought perhaps a Range Rover EVOQUE, essentially the same car as the Jaguar EPACE but similarly, again a 10 to 12 month wait, and a price tag of around $115K.


I had, however, recently purchased a MG MG3 for my wife (5 months previously) and we were both very impressed with this car: the build quality, the finish and features, and how it drives, so I did all my research on the mid-size MG HS, read every review, watched every YouTube video review, and booked a test drive of an HS at Newcastle MG. I was more than satisfied that this was a good car and ordered one, an AWD model which comes with a 2 litre turbo, in top line spec called Essence, in Black. I took delivery 8 weeks later on 5th April 2022. Driveway price with some options including floor mats, rear boot mat, and tinted windows came to $44,500.

I believe MG has done a great job with the design of the HS. It’s stylish without being gaudy and looks very elegant in the black. I like the 18” alloys and it rides very well on the fitted Michelin tyres. Inside, the cabin is very pleasant to be in. The leather, with suede like inserts, red contrast stitching, piano black fittings around air vents etc, aluminium like trim pieces, small flat bottomed leather bound steering in the HS Essence trim, all combine to give a feeling that you’re in a luxury SUV, particularly with the panoramic stargazer sunroof. It is also very spacious in the HS cabin, in the front and rear seats, and boot as well.

Truthfully, there’s nothing I dislike about the HS, inside or out. MG has done a great job!

I really like the safety features tech in the HS. The MG’s proprietary Pilot system is very good and comprehensive. The lane keeping assist works very well, not intrusive, and the adaptive cruise control is great to use on the motorways. I use the Rear Cross Traffic Alert every day reversing out of my driveway as well as the 360-degree camera. The graphic clarity in the 10.1 inch centre screen is impressive. The touch screen I found to be very responsive and easy to navigate. I read in reviews that the Navigation was slow to load but I disagree, it’s no slower than in the Jaguar EPACE nor the top of the range Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Cruiser SUV I had hired for 2 weeks prior to collecting my HS.


Now to driving the HS X 2litre turbo. I had read that the driving position is too high. I disagree. It’s perfect. My wife also agrees. I like the driving position better than the Jag. I also read criticism of the 6-speed DCT gearbox. Again I disagree. The transmission on my HS is silky smooth, never hunting, never lagging; better that the 9 speed auto in my EPACE. Had read reviews that described the warning beeps and sounds in the HS, as numerous and intrusive. Not so. About the same in the HS as in my Jaguar EPace and a lot less than the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Cruiser SUV. Perhaps the issues I read in earlier reviews were attended to before my car arrived on a boat in late March 2022.


The HS X AWD is a pleasure to drive. Comfortable, plenty of power, handles well and is a smooth ride. It is a luxury SUV for all intents and purposes when you drive it. I could not fault the HS.

However, I find the placement of the orange/yellow warning light for the Blind Spot monitoring odd. Rather than being in the mirror glass, it’s in the interior of the car where the mirror fitting joins the vehicle, placed underneath a speaker which is in the housing. While I’m used to it, the warning light would be more sensible and practical in the mirror glass like other cars.

As I have only had the HS for less than 3 months, and 4000km, and used it mainly on trips to Sydney and Wollongong on business, from Newcastle, I have had no issues whatsoever. It’s a pleasure to drive.

Putting the Blind Spot warning light in the actual mirror is the only suggestion I have so far. Also the fuel economy could be better. I’m currently averaging high 8’s to 9 litres per 100kms.

I would, and have several times already, recommended this HS X AWD to several friends.

Summary: I am very glad I bought this HS and didn’t wait for another Jaguar.

Owner: Will Mackay

MORE: Everything MG

The post 2022 MG HS Essence: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2022 MG HS Essence: owner review