2020 Nissan Juke ST-L: owner review

When I saw photos of the current-model Nissan Juke, I was immediately drawn to it.
Owner: Andrew B

What we love
  • The design is like nothing else on the road
What we don’t
  • The stop/start system can sometimes catch you out

My previous car was a 2017 Kia Rio, which did everything it was supposed to, but has to be the most boring car I have ever owned. When I saw photos of the current-model Nissan Juke, I was immediately drawn to it. It has bold lines, funky headlights, and a purposeful stance.

I was looking for a slightly larger car than the Rio due to an unexpected addition to our family, and due to my wife’s back troubles, I could no longer consider something too close to the ground. A light or small SUV was what we were after.

I saw a second-hand Nissan Juke ST-L being advertised for less than $30,000, and with my wife’s advice chose a metallic blue one with 6500km on the clock. I have now driven over 20,000km made up of approximately 60/40 country/city driving.

The 1.0-litre turbocharged engine rarely wants for more power, and unlike my Rio it doesn’t struggle going up hills or require lots of long straights for successful overtaking. While I have rarely managed to achieve the advertised 5.9L/100km fuel use, I am now averaging 6L/100km. While it requires premium unleaded, its consistently low fuel usage means the fuel costs are relatively low.

I love the radar cruise control that works a treat both in city driving and on the highway. The automatic high beams are a delight for night driving on the outback roads I frequent. I rarely end up at my destination overly stressed as the vehicle handles all the long kays with ease.

Despite some of the negative reviews concerning the 19-inch rims, which look fantastic, I have found that they rarely cause any issues in terms of comfort. Likewise, the handling is excellent for an SUV, and this little car takes corners easily.

I love the interior design with its circular air-con vents, leather-trimmed dash and steering wheel, and red accents around the transmission and on the door cards giving the vehicle quite an upmarket feel. The heated seats are great in winter, and the boot is one of the largest for its class.

This car, unlike the Rio, often leaves a smile on my face as I drive it. Unlike the Rio, it doesn’t greet me with crazy beeping as soon as I get in the car, and while it has its fair share of safety features, they are rarely overly intrusive. The dual-clutch transmission combined with the stop/start function can at times catch you out. But generally, as I have acclimatised to these features, I have rarely found them problematic. The transmission rarely hunts gears – an interminable problem with the Rio.

Apple CarPlay works as it should, and while the sound system is nothing to write home about, it does its job and nothing more.

While I know that some find the polarising style too confronting, for me it is one of the few modern vehicles that has a design that stands out among the generally vanilla styling of most modern SUVs. I think most agree that it is a much more cohesive design than the previous Juke.

For me, the styling was what caught my eye and led me to consider buying the car. It is even better that the car drives and handles as well as it looks, and provides a comfortable and practical interior space as well.

For those looking for a small SUV, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Juke. You might be surprised at how competent it is and how well equipped it is.

Owner: Andrew B

MORE: Everything Nissan

The post 2020 Nissan Juke ST-L: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2020 Nissan Juke ST-L: owner review