2013 Subaru Forester: owner review

In my mind Subaru had always been synonymous with reliability, and the ability to go places.
Owner: Eve Armytage

What we love
  • The internal size was a big selling point for me – it seemed to have great dimensions to fit a growing family, and wasn’t too big, so it’s easy to drive around.
What we don’t
  • There is no air-conditioning vent in the back seat of this model – my kids complain about this all the time. I gather newer models have this, so am guessing other kids complained about this too!

In my mind Subaru had always been synonymous with reliability, and the ability to go places. My needs for a car started with getting the kids to school, then getting to work, and ended with going camping, up to the snow and fitting in everything that I can into the car, including bikes, dogs and skis.

I bought this car as my first new car, and had a long term goal of keeping it for long enough to teach my kids how to drive in it. My eldest is now 16 and getting her first lessons, and it’s a great car for her – safe, easy to manoeuvre, and to see out of. My current plan is to give her this car when she is 18, and buy myself another second hand Forester, so that I can repeat the pattern with the second child.

The Suburu Forester has been reliable, economical on fuel, and when a problem did occur with the engine, Subaru stepped up to cover 50% of the replacement costs. Now that the car is older, there are a few ongoing issues such as the air conditioning – who knew that this was so expensive to replace? I will confess to getting servicing done outside the Subaru dealership after the warranty ended, as they are kind of pricey – but on the whole, you expect to pay to maintain your car.

I do feel that Subaru is not quite as good as they used to be. Their reputation of being unbreakable and reliable is not quite as good in the last ten years as previous, but I would consider buying another one, for safety, size, and reliability.

Owner: Eve Armytage

MORE: Everything Subaru

The post 2013 Subaru Forester: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2013 Subaru Forester: owner review