2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ES: owner review

I recently bought a 2020 Outlander PHEV that was a demo with only 2600km, which cost $41,990.
Owner: Eric Boothman

What we love
  • 50km of EV driving range so you can commute to work and use very little fuel.
What we don’t
  • The onboard AC charger is limited to 3.7kW so it takes 3.5 hours to charge from most chargers at shopping centres or your home EV charger.

I recently bought a 2020 Outlander PHEV that was a demo with only 2600km, whichcost $41,990. In my opinion this is the best way to get into a PHEV, and it is by far the best car I’ve owned, including a 2018 Prado GXL and 2020 Hybrid Camry – the latter being too small and not a good family car unlike the PHEV.

You hardly ever need to put fuel in the PHEV and lately I have been charging for free at my new local Coles or other shopping centres, which is a phenomenal feeling. I owned a 2014 Outlander PHEV for 4 years and regretted selling it so now I am stoked to have the newer model with slightly larger 2.4-litre engine and bigger 13.8kwh battery. Once the battery is dead I still have over 550km of range, so it is the best of both worlds and you can travel to regional areas without massive range anxiety.

The instant EV torque is addictive, super quiet, and quite fast. The regenerative paddles are unbelievable, especially going down steep hills, approaching traffic lights or when someone locks up in-font of you.

The 2020 Outlander PHEV not only looks way better (in my opinion) than the Eclipse Cross but it has a much larger and better interior, including rear air vents and the best steering wheel of any car I’ve owned. I also have 20 solar panels on my home’s roof and charge mostly in the arvo with an Ocular 7kW home charger I installed – which only takes 3.5 hours maximum. We rarely get electricity bills – we mostly get credits – with the system only costing $1000 when we built our house thanks to the government rebate.

My commute is 25km each way so usually get home with a few kilometres of EV range remaining. Once you drive one you realise just how good they are and won’t want to go back to an ICE or hybrid car again.

Owner: Eric Boothman

MORE: Everything Mitsubishi

The post 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ES: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ES: owner review