2010 Volkswagen Passat Highline wagon: owner review

First sentence of submission.
Owner: John Andersen

What we love
  • Cruising the open roads.
What we don’t
  • The rear end could be better.

I bought my car new and have now travelled over 215,000km and I’m still in love with it, normally keeping a car for between three and five years. It was my first VW in almost 40 years of driving and living with one for 11 years has been a pleasure. It is powered by a 125kW turbo diesel coupled to a 6-speed DSG transmission.

The car has been incredibly reliable and I have maintained regular servicing and detailing. I made the choice early on that I would get the oil and filter changed at half the recommended service interval, and this has no doubt helped. The only major issue I have had is with the air conditioning compressor which has failed three times, but was replaced under warranty. They must have fixed the issue at the factory as it now hasn’t failed for over six years.

The best fuel economy I have ever seen was 4 litres per 100 kilometres on a trip to Toowoomba from the Gold Coast at highway speed. The trip computer shows an average of 6.7L/100km for the life of the car. With a 70-litre tank, the car can easily do over 1,200km on a full tank on the highway. Around town it averages under 8L/100km.

The ride comfort and quietness on the road is bordering on excellent and the car handles really well. The diesel has more than enough torque for keeping up with the traffic around town or overtaking safely on the highway. The interior design is very good as well with plenty of storage in bins and in the door pockets. The technology in the car has been without fault.

It was annoying in having to pay $695 to get Bluetooth put in by the dealer when I bought it. The DSG gearbox has its moments in heavy traffic doing the usual clunks – as road testers have said of nearly all transmissions of this type. With all the kilometres on it now, the transmission can fail to engage reverse or drive when shifting between them. I haven’t found servicing to be expensive but the prices of parts are probably higher than average.

I don’t know what I’m going to do when it dies, but the Tiguan is high on the list of replacement vehicles. I also have a 2015 Holden SS-V Redline which I love taking out on cruises and to car meets, but I still prefer the Passat for my daily.

Owner: John Andersen

MORE: Everything Volkswagen

The post 2010 Volkswagen Passat Highline wagon: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2010 Volkswagen Passat Highline wagon: owner review