2007 Ford Falcon XR6: owner review

To start off with, this was a hand me down car from my parents who had bought this brand new way back in 2008.
Owner: Luke

What we love
  • Reliability
  • The colour
  • Handling
What we don’t
  • Uses up fuel

To start off with, this was a hand-me-down car from my parents who had bought this brand new way back in 2008. I had just gotten my licence over a year ago and my parents offered me this nice Bionic Blue Ford Falcon XR6 as they had just bought a new car to replace it (2019 Mazda 3). Because I loved the Falcon so much, as it gave me so many fun memories and trips with the family, I took the offer and made this my first car.

So, some information about my Ford Falcon BF Mk2 XR6. When I emailed Ford Australia for the documents behind my Ford Falcon I found that mine was equipped with the upgrades which were applied to all BF Mk2 Falcons after July 2007. This upgrade fitted Dynamic Stability Control, premium sound system, a more luxurious ICC (which came with dual zone climate control) and was also fitted with the XR8 rims (aka The Rebels). Apparently the number of vehicles they produced with all these options and in the colour I have was about 6 out of the total build of 14,681 BF Mk2 XR6 sedans for 2007. Now I’m not saying that my car is very rare but those are some very low numbers.

I have made a few different changes ever since I got the ownership of the Ford Falcon like changing the wheels to the FPV Dark Argent wheels, which in my opinion look better with the blue on black look. I then fitted a XR6 turbo exhaust which made the car a little bit louder but not too loud. The most recent change was changing the lights to LED angel lights, which gave the car a very good look.

What I like about this car is the way it handles and the engine noise (I am a fan of the Barra inline 6). The seats are very comfy and it’s roomy for a large sedan. The technology inside the car was good for its time and I also like the Bionic Blue on this car. It’s such a beautiful colour and I say one of the best colours for a Falcon. As for dislikes, well not much considering I really love this car, although it does use a lot of fuel considering it is a big sedan, but its not too much of a big deal. I did encounter a couple of problems with the car, the first being the broken ignition switch which was an easy fix and the second was when the starter motor broke where the car had to be towed from the fuel station. It needed a new starter motor, which meant I only went a day without my car.

It drives really well, as it is equipped with a ZF 6-speed automatic which is a really good gearbox for an automatic. It turns like you would expect for sedan like this. The car is powered by one of the best engines Ford has ever produced; a naturally aspirated inline 6 nicknamed the Barra inline 6 which makes a healthy 190kW (255BHP).

The Ford Falcon has been a very reliable car, not just for me but also for when my parents had this car. Because my mum had to drive this to work and back, which was a long way away from where we lived, the Falcon had racked up over 300,000 kilometres during its use for the family – which just shows how capable and reliable the Barra engine is. The practicality for this large sedan is that it can seat 5 people and also have a good enough boot space for the groceries whenever I do a grocery run. In fact sometimes when I’m alone with the car I jump into the back seat and lie down pretending as if I’m using this as a bed, but being a tall person I can probably say its not large enough for 6 foot people to lay on the seats. Other than that the car is practical if you’re looking for something like this.

I cant really think of any improvements for the car because of how good it is for a first car. I think I’m really satisfied with how they turned out with the BF Falcons although I kind of wish Ford had made a BF XR6 wagon variant, as you get a better ride and handling for a wagon. Nevertheless Ford did a really good job with the BF Mk2 Falcon XR6. My finals words for this is that it’s a really good starter car.

Owner: Luke

MORE: Everything Ford

The post 2007 Ford Falcon XR6: owner review appeared first on Drive.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : 2007 Ford Falcon XR6: owner review